Connect with us

Metro News

150, 000 policemen attached to VIP’s, unauthorised persons

Published

on

The Police Service Commission (PSC), said that more than 150,000 policemen were attached to VIP’s and unauthourised persons in the country.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that President Muhammadu Buhari, in 2015 directed that police personnel attached to unauthorised persons and VIPs in the country be withdrawn and deployed to confront the security challenges in the nation.

The Chairman of the commission, Mr Mike Okiro made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday, in Abuja.

“We cannot afford to have more than half of the population of the Police in private hands,” he said.

He said that the commission in conjunction with the Nigeria Police Force, had commenced the implementation of the withdrawal of policemen but the exercise was stalled due to lack of fund.

“We could not sustain the enforcement of the order on the withdrawal of policemen attached to unqualified persons in the country because of lack of fund.
He expressed disappointment at the practice where persons who served as ministers for over 10 to 15 years still go about with police security.

Okiro said that the nation cannot be battling with shortage of manpower in the force while majority of these officers would be in the service of few privileged Nigerians.

The chairman said that that the number of policemen in the country was inadequate for the population, hence the request for the recruitment of more policemen.

He said that issue of paucity of fund had been one of the problems hindering the recruitment of more policemen for enhanced service delivery.

“The Nigeria police Force is underfunded and not only in the area of manpower.

“The issue of funding is very strategic to the Nigeria Police Force. If you want to police Nigeria as it should be, the entire budget of Nigeria cannot be enough for that,” he said.

The chairman said that the Police Trust Fund bill before the National Assembly if passed into law would go a long way to address the issue of funding for the police. (NAN)

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Metro News

Police Foil Suicide Bomb Attack In Maiduguri

Published

on

The Police in Borno successfully foiled a lone suicide bomb attack on Wednesday night in Maiduguri, the Police Commissioner, Mr Damian Chukwu, has said.

Chukwu told the News Agency of Nigeria by telephone that the incident occurred around 8:30pm on the outskirts of Maiduguri.

He said that a teenage female bomber attempted to infiltrate a security checkpoint before security men shot at her and the Improvised Explosive Device vest strapped to her body exploded.

He said the explosion blew the girl into pieces, noting that there were no other casualties in the attack.

The commissioner added that men of the Explosive Ordinance Department were deployed to sanitise the area.

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Metro News

Abducted Ondo Lecturer Killed, Federal Medical Workers Freed

Published

on

An abducted academic staff of the Rufus Giwa Polytechnic (RUGIPO), Owo in Ondo State has been killed by his captors.

The Public Relations Officer of the State Police Command, Mr Femi Joseph, confirmed this to Channels Television on Monday.

Joseph who described the death as unfortunate explained that the police recovered the body of Mr Akinyemi Taiwo at a forest near Owo town.

The deceased was kidnapped by gunmen on Tuesday last week along the Akure-Owo Road.

He was abducted along with four other people who were staff of the Federal Medical Centre, Owo.

The police spokesperson, however, confirmed that they had regained their freedom.

The lifeless body of the 52-year-old father of three was said to be found by the police in a bush tied to a tree.

Chairman of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnic (SSANIP), RUGIPO chapter, Chris Olowolade, condemned the killing.

He explained that the abductors had initially demanded N100 million and later reduced it to N500,000 after many pleas.

Olowolade lamented that the union had entered into a negotiation with the kidnappers for the payment of the ransom when it was discovered that Taiwo had been killed.

The police say they are already on the trail of the kidnappers and Taiwo’s killers but no arrest has been made.

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Metro News

Alleged N1.4bn Fraud: Court Adjourns Arraignment Of NBA President

Published

on

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has adjourned the arraignment of President of the Nigerian Bar Association, (NBA), Mr. Paul Usoro.

The NBA boss appeared earlier in court today before Justice Muslim Hassan over N1.4billion fraud allegations filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commision (EFCC).

The arraignment, however, could not hold as the NBA President, through his defense team, told the court charge sheet had not been served on him.

The NBA President was represented by a team of lawyers led by a former president of the NBA, Wole Olanipekun.

EFCC Counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, told the court that the NBA President has been evading service of the charge.

Olanipekun said his client came to court on his own despite not being served with the charge sheet, adding that he was ready to accept the service of the charge sheet in the courtroom.

Olanipekun then urged the judge to direct the EFCC to serve his client the charge sheet. But the EFCC counsel resisted the move. He told the judge that he was not in a position to effect service in court especially as the charge sheet was with the Investigative Police Officer who was absent.

Justice Muslim Hassan, therefore, adjourned till December 18, for the arraignment. Justice Hassan said this is to enable the EFCC to serve Usoro with the charge sheet for the alleged offenses.

Outside the court premises, operatives of the anti-graft agency moved to arrest Usoro but following the intervention of the EFCC counsel, the NBA President was invited to accompany the EFCC to their Lagos office. He was allowed to ride in his car with some lawyers.

The group then moved to the EFCC office where Usoro is expected to be served with the Charge Sheet.

Last week Wednesday, the EFCC had filed a 10 count of fraudulent conversion of N1.4bn against the President of NBA.

In the first count, the EFCC alleges that Mr Usoro, Governor Emmanuel Udom of Akwa Ibom State (who currently enjoys constitutional immunity against criminal prosecution), the Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for finance, Nsikan Nkan, the Accountant-General, Mfon Udomah, the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice; Uwemedimo Nwoko and Margaret Ukpe, all of whom were said to be at large, conspired in 2015 to convert the sum of N1.4billion property of the Akwa Ibom State Government which they ought to have known forms part of the proceeds of crime.

The EFCC Counsel who signed the charge sheet, Mr. Oyedepo, said the offenses are contrary to Section 18 (a) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011.

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending