Our attention has been drawn, and we read with utter dismay, a publication on an online medium, Kwarafa Reporters, on 13th April, 2019, which claimed that “Lai Muhammed is reportedly fighting DG National Troupe and National Theater, Tar Ukoh. He has fought Folarin Coker of Tourism Commission; he has fought Dr Garba Abari of NOA; he has also fought DG of NFVCB!”
It is not conventional for us to give some mushroom media any cognizance, but we are compelled to respond to this publication as one of the government agencies at the forefront of tackling hate speeches and publications that could distort facts and send wrong signals to actors within the entertainment industry who are contributing assiduously to giving the industry its rightful position in the socio-economic scheme of the nation.
The National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB) has recorded numerous successes and attained many milestones since the appointment of Alhaji Adedayo Thomas as its Executive Director, which cannot be dissociated from the distinguished mentorship, leadership and guidance of the supervisory ministry, the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture (FMIC), ably superintended by the visionary and indefatigable Honourable Minister, Alhaji Lai Mohammed. We therefore believe the publication is a figment of the imagination of fifth columnists who must have misled the writer, as they cannot divorce politics from purposeful governance, and are bent on clogging the wheel of progress of the smooth sailing FMIC under the Honourable Minister.
It would be recalled that the Honourable Minister, working in concert with the ED, charted a course for tackling piracy by introducing security seals and labels in collaboration with De La Rue. The Board was also involved in the organization of the recently held Creative Industry Summit where the Honourable Minister announced the establishment of a One million dollar venture capital to boost the Nigerian Creative Industry. Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC) Nigeria also lately reported that “Nigeria’s movie industry is world’s 3rd most profitable after Hollywood and Bollywood, with 2018 revenues up 25.5% from 2017 to US$3.8billion.” The agencies under the FMIC also command mutual working relationship and inter-agency collaborations. The NFVCB staff welfare, training and conference attendance locally and international has been a great success owning to the concern of the Minister. The Board of recent passed a vote of conference on the ED, which is a manifestation of the Minister’s support for both the ED and the agency.All these and more are strides achieved with the support and leadership of the Honourable Minister.
It is plausible to admit that these fifth columnists feed on chaotic situations, thrive on rumour-mongering and are not favorably disposed to a peaceful and tranquil workplace and environment, having long carried the burden of an ulterior intention to gain some unpatriotic advantage. They feel threatened by the relative peace and the cordial relationship our ED enjoys with the Honourable Minister and abhor a sinister move to excite conflict where none exists. Unfortunately, they have failed, and will yet failed again, on this voyage as it really takes an unsettled mind to imagine such a fiction with a non-appealing storyline, and we advise they seek counseling as quickly as possible.
Signed: Alhaji Adedayo Thomas ( ED-NFVCB)
Re: Kadaria’s Nollywood Movie on Zamfara Killings – By Ibrahim Sheme
The article is full of inaccuracies and falsehood. I know Kadaria and her family very well to be able to write a full rejoinder, but I will only take note of the following attacks on her personal life:
1. Kadaria did not move to London because of or after her divorce with Malam IBK (now a professor at BUK). She was a lecturer at Kaduna Polytechnic for years before she became a Chevening scholar, which gave her the opportunity to study in London. I used to visit her when she was teaching at Kadpoly. She went to London only to study for her Master’s, after which she got a job with the BBC. That was many years after her divorce with IBK.
2. Kadaria had a successful and fulfilling career at the BBC – the world’s leading broadcast media conglomerate. She worked in various sections, including on BBC Hausa and serving as a foreign correspondent in the English sections.
3. Kadaria met her second husband, a Yoruba man from Lagos, while working abroad. They were happily married and they have three lovely kids. She paid her dues in marriage, showing full commitment to family just as she moves with her career. An irresponsible woman wouldn’t be in a marriage and beget three kids that she cares for and loves ardently. By God, she even carried out a certain Islamic duty in that marriage the huge reward of which only Allah can quantify (I will leave that unannounced for now).
4. Kadaria is not a drug user or “junkie” as her attacker calls her. She campaigns against any substance use or abuse. Her former husband, a successful business man, was/is also not a drug user. He is still successful, not useless.
5. Kadaria has never converted to Christianity. She has always been a Muslim. I have known her as a Muslim all her life (before and now) – right from her student days in BUK where we were in the same Department in the late ’80s as well as in the UK when I joined her there as a Chevening scholar too. The writer, like all of his ilk who lack substance of fact, manipulates religion here as his last card in order to tarnish her image. By calling her “a condemned soul” he confers on himself powers that he lacks, as if he holds the keys to hell or paradise. It is a well known trick in Hausa land by attackers to call the people they hate as less religious than them, in order to paint them black in the eyes of unsuspecting members of the public.
6. Kadaria’s sister Zainab, whom I know very well and relate with, is also not a drug addict. Like Kadaria, she is also a mother. She is a very responsible person who helps the needy to the best of her abilities. Her kindness, rather than what her attacker loves to deceive with, is legendary.
7. Zainab has never committed murder. The writer should have told the world when she killed her security man, where she was arrested, detained or arraigned and how the supposed case went in the police station or the court. Besides, Zainab never lived in a house of her own as to have a security guard. She also never lived in Maitama as her attacker claimed. The only two (rented) houses where she lived(s) are in housing estates, one in Wuse II and the present one in Jabi. She never owned a house of her own in Abuja. She lives peacefully with her neighbours and was never known to have fought with anyone. So, it is the figment of the imagination of the writer that she is a murderer.
8. Zainab does not live in Lamido Road, Kaduna. In fact, she has never lived in Kaduna. She lives in Jabi, Abuja.
9. Kadaria is actually an indigene of Zamfara state, where her family house is well known in Gusau. Her father, Malam Ahmad, was an Arab business man and cleric who settled in Zamfara before Independence. Kadaria and her siblings were all born in Gusau. Their mother, Hajiya Hafsatu Ahmad Abdulwahid, the author of the first Hausa novel written by a woman, titled “So Aljannar Duniya”, was once a governorship candidate in Zamfara – another proof of the indigeneship of the family. Hajiya Hafsatu is a direct descendent of the reverred Sheikh Usman Danfodio, and the family tree showing this link was published in various places, including one which I myself once published.
10. Lastly, the writer has displayed gross ignorance about Kadaria by claiming definitely that she was hired by Governor Abdul’aziz Yari’s opponents to do what she did or say what she said. If he had known her fairly well as some of us do, he wouldn’t have said that. Kadaria is a principled person, one that nobody can buy for any nefarious activity. She was horned in the journalistic tenets of fairness, objectivity, fearlessness and fight for the common good. Those values she has displayed throughout her career, including when she served as Editor of the Next newspaper – a paper known for its fearlessness and doggedness in the fight against corruption, maladministration and misgovernance – the cankerworms her attacker seems to like defending. It was from Next that the origin of today’s Premium Times online newspaper can be found.
11. My analysis of the writer who used the name “Ashiru Alhaji Ashiru” is that it was he, rather than Kadaria, who was apparently a hired gun, employed to justify the misgovernance that Kadaria fights against. And in doing so, he employed falsehood, mixing it so unartfully with some basics and painted a false image of Kadaria and members of her family. By trying to deny an indigeneship to Kadaria in Zamfara, he has further exposed himself as someone who only grasps some reed as he sinks in the miasma of his lies and bigotry. The Kadaria I know can never be deterred by such personal attacks; she would only be enboldened by them.
EXCLUSIVE: Office Romance in ICPC Threatening Anti Graft War.
Tongues are wagging and tension is escalating among staff of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Related Offences Commission (ICPC) over the exposed links of a “husband-and-wife” cabal to recent unofficial actions of the Commission which damaged its reputation with public ridicule and drew criticism.
The husband and wife affair first blew open as an office romance between a top investigator and a public relations officer but has since been privately formalized without following due process of change of name.
The office romance which was an open secret took on an official dimension when they began interacting to pursue ulterior objectives against individuals and organisations invited by the ICPC using their departmental positions discreetly.
This unofficial collusion of husband and wife hit the rocks in November last year when the ICPC was inundated with public ridicule and outrage over its press statement on an investigation that was riddled with unpardonable errors and scandalous misrepresentation at variance with the documented records of the investigation.
The barrage of criticism and condemnation of ICPC triggered by the press statement prompted internal queries which confirmed that it was entirely plotted by the husband-and-wife cabal to blackmail some organizations and extort “settlement” terms.
The internal investigation also showed that the misleading press statement was extracted from the petition that triggered the investigation without reference to the records of the investigation and statements made by the organizations invited.
The ICPC has been in a dilemma since the husband and wife cabal’s involvement was exposed because though it should set the records straight that would gravely bring it’s independence in investigating corrupt practices to a questionable perception by the general public.
The absence of the board of the Commission which was approved by the Senate but is yet to be inaugurated is blamed by staff for the rampant acts of indiscipline and privatization of official functions by the husband-and-wife cabal.
BACK STORY Of The Renovated GSS Building In Takum
An insider at Victim Support Fund (VSF) said he was shocked that Governor Darius is now posturing as if he is interested in the project.
A few years ago, he wasn’t. When the idea for renovating that school came, the governor was generally not interested. He was behaving as if he was being forced by VSF.
He never replied memos to the effect and was always rebuffing officials for reminding him. Top officials at VSF were thus scandalised by Darius lack of interest. In fact, the management of VSF had to blatantly tell him he was being ungrateful.
First, this was a project that concerns his village (Takum) and then it was an elder states man (VSF chairman, Gen. TY Danjuma) that was involved. VSF officials were equally shocked that the governor could display such level of disinterestedness. It was after much persuasion that Gov Darius finally saw the need for the project.
This is after an intervention from the General himself was mounted. Up till now, the leadership of VSF can’t understand why it took them such a long time to convince the governor to release his commissioner of education to support the project. Darius current stance as a lover of the project is an after thought as far as VSF is concerned.
To be sure, the entire idea was even first concieved by the VSF boss (Professor Ocheche) who felt that General Danjuma’s village should at least benefit from the fund. The initiative did not come from the governor. Professor Ocheche had an uphill task convincing outsiders that the school was initially burnt down by insurgents.
Takum may be part of the North East but was not viewed as being part of the theatre of war. It was a difficult task for VSF to make but Ocheche was able to convince the Board of Trustees. It was therefore perplexing for the VSF when they noticed that Darius wasn’t keen on the project. This has to be said for the records.
Attribute: inside sources
Cover5 months ago
Ganduje Donates N10 Million to EFCC, ICPC for Anti-Corruption Event
Cover5 months ago
Buhari Approves New Salary Package for Police Officers
Cover3 months ago
Nigeria Still as Corrupt as Before – Transparency International
Entertainment5 months ago
PHOTOS: Inside Abuja Biggest Christmas Carol Organized By Pinnacle Communications Ltd.
News5 months ago
President Buhari To Attend Peace Forum In France
Politics6 months ago
Saraki Reshuffles Senate Committees, Axes Buhari’s Loyalist
Foreign5 months ago
Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashogghi’s Murder – CIA
Cover5 months ago
Eid-El Maulud: FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday