Connect with us

COURTNEWS

Adamawa: Court Restrains INEC From Conducting Supplementary Gov’ship Election

Published

on

A state high court in Yola has barred the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from conducting the supplementary governorship election for which is scheduled March 23 in Adamawa State.

The Adamawa State High Court, presided by Justice Abdulaziz Waziri, granted an interim injunction barring INEC from conducting the supplementary polls in the 44 polling units where voting either did not hold during the March 9 governorship election or was cancelled

The high court judgement was a sequel to a suit filed by the governorship candidate of the Movement for the Restoration and Defence of Democracy (MRRD), Rev Eric Theman, who questioned non-inclusion of his party logo for the governorship election by INEC.

The Adamawa governorship election had been declared inconclusive by INEC on Monday morning after it collated results from the 21 LGAs of the state and arrived at a margin of lead between the two leading parties to be lower than the number of registered voters in polling units where voting was cancelled.

The commission announced Tuesday that it would conduct a supplementary election on March 23 in the affected polling units, but a sign that the current suit might come up emerged the day after the election, March 10, when the MRDD candidate cried out that his party logo was not on the ballot paper, and urged INEC to cancel the election.

“I reject the election and urge INEC to stop the process of announcing the results immediately. My party is not on the ballot paper and I will reject whatever is the outcome,” Theman had said.

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

COURTNEWS

Alleged Money Laundering: Court Convicts Ex-NIMASA DG

Published

on

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has convicted a former Acting Director General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, (NIMASA), Calistus Obi for money laundering

Mr Obi was convicted along with Alu Dismas, a former personal assistant to his predecessor, Patrick Akpobolokemi by Justice Mojisola Olatoregun on a charge brought against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The judge adjourned the case till May 28 for sentencing and ordered that the duo be remanded in prison custody pending sentencing.

The EFCC had arraigned Obi on April 12, 2016, on eight counts of conspiracy, conversion and money laundering of the sum of n136 million from NIMASA.

Although the court discharged and acquitted the defendants for conspiracy owing to the failure of the prosecutor to prove it, they were, however, convicted of conversion and money laundering.

Count one reads: “That you, Calistus Nwabueze Obi and Dismas Alu Adoon on or about the 5th day of August 2014, in Lagos, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court did conspire amongst yourselves to commit an offence, to wit: Conversion of the sums of N111,000,000, property of NIMASA, knowing that the said sums were proceeds of stealing, and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 18(a) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) (Amendment) Act, 2012 and punishable under Section 15(3) of the same Act.”

Mr Obi, Global Seal and Grand Pact were said to have converted N42,755,000.00 on December 24, 2013.

The EFCC said Mr Obi, on May 2, 2013, converted N25,000,000, as well as N46.3million being “proceeds of stealing” between April 1 and December 11, 2014.

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

COURTNEWS

N500bn Deal : CWAI Drags Emefiele to Court ,Insists Confirmation Illegal

Published

on

After a critical analysis, observations and speedy tacit endorsement given by the Senate in confirming the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor Mr Godwin Emefiele, the Citizens Watch Advocacy Initiative (CWAI) has come to the stark realization and conclusion that Nigeria is not ready to either reap or join the comity of nations.

CWAI reasons that the Nigerian Senate, by this singular act of confirming Emefiele for a second term, has failed Nigerians. This was done irrespective of the clarion call by Nigerians that justice must be done, due process and rule of law must be followed in order to get to the root of the alleged infractions.

CWAI has decided to take up the gauntlet from those corrupt few “who have held us by the jugular as hostage in our own country to seek redress in the re-appointment and subsequent speedy confirmation of Mr Emefiele, whose tenure as governor has witnessed a tumultuous event of alleged financial infractions and the nose-diving of the economy since he assumed duties as the head of the apex bank.

In a press release signed by the Executive Secretary of CWAI, Omoba Kenneth Aigbegbele, and Head Media Relations, Comrade James Okoronkwo, the organization said Nigeria is operating a democratically elected government and, as such, it should be seen in all aspects of the nation. CWAI therefore reasons that Mr Emefiele must not continue to remain in that office after so many years of alleged cases of misconduct and infractions as if we are still in a military regime, knowing fully well that we have capable Nigerians who can occupy the seat out of the over 200 million Nigerians.

Emphasizing that CWAI, a civil society and anti-corruption organization has taken the CBN governor Mr Godwin Emefiele to the Abuja High Court to seek the interpretation of Section 11(2)(c) of the Central Bank Act 2007 as amended and to also clarify if he is fit and proper a person to be appointed or re-appointed as Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria under the above sub-head, having regard to the unexplained and uncontroverted diversion of N500 billion under his leadership.

CWAI affirmed the declaration that the alleged diversion of N500 billion under his leadership is a serious misconduct rendering Mr Emefiele incapable of remaining as Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria in line with Section 11(2)(c) of the CBN Act 2007.

The organization recalled that, just this month, Sahara Reporters (an online medium), released a full audio conversation as well as on May 13, 2019, published a full transcription of the conversation between the CBN Governor and Deputy Governor, Mr Edward Lametek Adamu; Director of Finance Dayo M. Arowosegbe and Special Adviser to the CBN governor, Mr Emmanuel Ukeze, discussing how to cover up diverted N500 billion.

These allegations were later admitted in the press statement issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria, but merely classified it as about N150 billion, to which CWAI issued a press statement on May 13, 2019, which was published under the caption, “Alleged N500 Deal: Suspend Emefiele Now, CWAI Tells FG.” In the said statement, the CWAI urged the Senate to look at the vexed issue raised in the audio conversation by concerned Nigerians so as not to confirm the CBN governor but in a sudden twist on 16th May, 2019, the Senate hurriedly screened and confirmed the CBN governor without due recourse to all the weighty allegations levied against his leadership of the apex bank.

CWAI therefore vehemently opposes Mr Godwin Emefiele’s re-appointment by the Federal Government, screening and subsequent confirmation as CBN governor by the Senate, in all it’s entirely, insisting that justice must be seen to have been done. The CBN governor and his management staff involved in the alleged N500 billion deal, were to be have been duly suspended due to the misconduct and proper investigations carried out for Nigerians to determine the veracity and the extent of culpability so as to give the appointment the much needed credibility it deserves.

CWAI is in court, and is determined to see to it that the interpretation of Section 11(2)(c) of the CBN Act 2007 is thoroughly adhered to. This is because, as CWAI reasons, Nigeria belongs to all of us and we must do all we can to salvage it by growing our institutions, instead of persons.

CWAI further insists that the audio conversation released by the Sahara Reporters is a true-copy until proven otherwise of what transpired that must be investigated by the forensic auditors for future deterrence. The organization believes in the Judiciary as the last hope of the common man, as we begin this judicial exercise.

CWAI reiterates that it is not about the person but the institution and for Nigerians to be great, we must all sacrifice to make Nigeria work and this is one of such sacrifices that must be done to allow aspirations of Nigeria come to pass as we thank Nigerians for the encouragement as we await the “mother of all judicial processes.”

Emefiele’s re-appointment and subsequent confirmation “is a death kneel for the Nigerian economy as he has performed poorly since he came on board as the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria five years ago.”

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

COURTNEWS

N1bn Damage Claims: 10months After, ICPC Files Defence

Published

on

The Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) finally seeking to file its defence, out of time, in a claim by Pinnacle communications accusing the anti graft body holding back its payments in Zenith bank without a court order.

Pinnacle had sued ICPC to the tune N1bn in damages in July 2018. Justice Taiwo Taiwo of the Federal High Court, Abuja, adjourned the case till the 27th June, 2019 for application filled by ICPC. (See court documents below)

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
- Advertisement -

Find us on Facebook

Trending