Connect with us

Metro News

Herdsmen slaughter cop, kill two civil defence men in Benue

Published

on

The Benue State Police command has said that the body of one of the officers it declared missing after an attack by Fulani herdsmen on Saturday night at the Azege-Ayilamo community in the Logo Local Government Area of the state had been found.

In a statement by the command spokesman, ASP, Moses Yamu, made available to our correspondent in Makurdi on Monday, the command lamented the death of one of the missing policemen.

Yamu stated, “He was found brutally slaughtered, with both eyes and ears as well as nose removed. We pray that God Almighty grants him eternal rest.”

The command said that it remained committed to its statutory and daunting obligation of ensuring security of lives and property in the state.

The command had stated on Saturday that suspected herdsmen had ambushed a patrol team at Azege Ayilamo in the Logo council area with four of its men missing.

Two of the missing policemen were said to have been rescued on Sunday.

In a related development, suspected Fulani herdsmen, on Monday, shot and killed two officers of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, who were on special operations at the Guma Local Government Area of Benue State.

The incident, according to a security source, occurred at Awamye near Kasseyo village in the local government area.

The victims were said to have been ambushed by suspected Fulani herdsmen at a stream in Awanye.

The source said, “Security men within that community have been going to the stream to bath and what they used to do is while some are taking their bath others will be on alert keeping watch.

“So, the victims were bathing while two other colleagues were keeping vigil when suddenly suspected herdsmen who had laid an ambush attacked them and killed the two, while others escaped.”

When contacted, the state command PRO, Peter Adakole, confirmed the incident.

He added that the command had dispatched a team to the area to get accurate information about what led to the death of the men.

The PRO said, “I can confirm to you that we lost two men but we do not have details of what happened, the command had dispatched a team to the place, the moment the team comes back I will get back to you.”

He did not get back to our correspondent as of the time of filling this report.

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Metro News

Police Foil Suicide Bomb Attack In Maiduguri

Published

on

The Police in Borno successfully foiled a lone suicide bomb attack on Wednesday night in Maiduguri, the Police Commissioner, Mr Damian Chukwu, has said.

Chukwu told the News Agency of Nigeria by telephone that the incident occurred around 8:30pm on the outskirts of Maiduguri.

He said that a teenage female bomber attempted to infiltrate a security checkpoint before security men shot at her and the Improvised Explosive Device vest strapped to her body exploded.

He said the explosion blew the girl into pieces, noting that there were no other casualties in the attack.

The commissioner added that men of the Explosive Ordinance Department were deployed to sanitise the area.

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Metro News

Abducted Ondo Lecturer Killed, Federal Medical Workers Freed

Published

on

An abducted academic staff of the Rufus Giwa Polytechnic (RUGIPO), Owo in Ondo State has been killed by his captors.

The Public Relations Officer of the State Police Command, Mr Femi Joseph, confirmed this to Channels Television on Monday.

Joseph who described the death as unfortunate explained that the police recovered the body of Mr Akinyemi Taiwo at a forest near Owo town.

The deceased was kidnapped by gunmen on Tuesday last week along the Akure-Owo Road.

He was abducted along with four other people who were staff of the Federal Medical Centre, Owo.

The police spokesperson, however, confirmed that they had regained their freedom.

The lifeless body of the 52-year-old father of three was said to be found by the police in a bush tied to a tree.

Chairman of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnic (SSANIP), RUGIPO chapter, Chris Olowolade, condemned the killing.

He explained that the abductors had initially demanded N100 million and later reduced it to N500,000 after many pleas.

Olowolade lamented that the union had entered into a negotiation with the kidnappers for the payment of the ransom when it was discovered that Taiwo had been killed.

The police say they are already on the trail of the kidnappers and Taiwo’s killers but no arrest has been made.

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Metro News

Alleged N1.4bn Fraud: Court Adjourns Arraignment Of NBA President

Published

on

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has adjourned the arraignment of President of the Nigerian Bar Association, (NBA), Mr. Paul Usoro.

The NBA boss appeared earlier in court today before Justice Muslim Hassan over N1.4billion fraud allegations filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commision (EFCC).

The arraignment, however, could not hold as the NBA President, through his defense team, told the court charge sheet had not been served on him.

The NBA President was represented by a team of lawyers led by a former president of the NBA, Wole Olanipekun.

EFCC Counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, told the court that the NBA President has been evading service of the charge.

Olanipekun said his client came to court on his own despite not being served with the charge sheet, adding that he was ready to accept the service of the charge sheet in the courtroom.

Olanipekun then urged the judge to direct the EFCC to serve his client the charge sheet. But the EFCC counsel resisted the move. He told the judge that he was not in a position to effect service in court especially as the charge sheet was with the Investigative Police Officer who was absent.

Justice Muslim Hassan, therefore, adjourned till December 18, for the arraignment. Justice Hassan said this is to enable the EFCC to serve Usoro with the charge sheet for the alleged offenses.

Outside the court premises, operatives of the anti-graft agency moved to arrest Usoro but following the intervention of the EFCC counsel, the NBA President was invited to accompany the EFCC to their Lagos office. He was allowed to ride in his car with some lawyers.

The group then moved to the EFCC office where Usoro is expected to be served with the Charge Sheet.

Last week Wednesday, the EFCC had filed a 10 count of fraudulent conversion of N1.4bn against the President of NBA.

In the first count, the EFCC alleges that Mr Usoro, Governor Emmanuel Udom of Akwa Ibom State (who currently enjoys constitutional immunity against criminal prosecution), the Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for finance, Nsikan Nkan, the Accountant-General, Mfon Udomah, the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice; Uwemedimo Nwoko and Margaret Ukpe, all of whom were said to be at large, conspired in 2015 to convert the sum of N1.4billion property of the Akwa Ibom State Government which they ought to have known forms part of the proceeds of crime.

The EFCC Counsel who signed the charge sheet, Mr. Oyedepo, said the offenses are contrary to Section 18 (a) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011.

Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
×
Kwararafa Reporters Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending