The Kaduna State Government has imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew on the troubled Kajuru Local Government Area (LGA).
Other communities affected by the curfew are Kujama and Maraban Rido.
Kajuru is in Kajuru Local Government, while Kujama and Maraban Rido are in Chikun LGA of the state.
The government said this in a statement issued by Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s spokesperson, Samuel Aruwan.
Aruwan said the curfew would be from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily until further notice.
The government directed security agencies to ensure strict enforcement of the curfew.
The government appealed to the residents in the affected areas to bear with the inconveniences the curfew might have caused and urged them to cooperate with the security agencies on the directive.
NAN reports that the Kaduna State Police Command on Monday said no fewer than 16 persons were killed by gunmen at Barde Village under Maro in Kajuru LGA.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer, Yakubu Sabo, confirmed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kaduna.
Sabo said at about 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, some unknown armed men entered Barde Village under Maro in Kajuru LGA and started shooting sporadically which resulted in the death of 16 persons.
He said on receipt of the information, the command mobilised teams of police operatives led by Kajuru Divisional Police Officer (DPO) alongside military personnel with a view to apprehend the perpetrators and restore normalcy to the area.
He added that the operation was ongoing and that the situation had been brought under control.
“While investigation is in progress, the Commissioner of Police, Ahmad Abdurrahman, has vowed to uncover the masterminds of this dastardly act and bring them to justice,” he said.
He appealed for calm and extended his heartfelt condolences to the families of those who were affected by the recent carnage.
Soldier Dies, Six Missing as Boko Haram Attacks Army Base
The Chief of the Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai, has promised to provide troops battling Boko Haram in the North-East as well as those involved in other security operations with more weapons.
Buratai made the promise when he visited troops at the Forward Operation Base in Borno State on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, Boko Haram fighters attacked a Nigerian Army base in Gubio Local Government Area of Borno State on Sunday evening, military sources have confirmed.
A soldier was reportedly killed while three others were injured.
Although government forces repelled the attack and limited the casualty figure, sources claimed six soldiers were still missing as of press time on Wednesday.
Our correspondent learnt that Buratai’s visit to the front line was to assess the effectiveness of the ongoing operations against Boko Haram and Islamic State West African Province.
According to acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col Sagir Musa, in a statement, the COAS urged troops to adhere strictly to the extant Rules of Engagement and Code of Conduct while on the internal security duties.
Musa said, “The Chief of Army Staff has for some days now been in the North-East theatre of operation where he visited troops on the front line. The latest was his visit to troops of Forward Operation Base at Buratai, Borno State on Tuesday. He interacted with the soldiers and urged them to remain focused and committed to bringing terrorism to an end.
“He assured them that more equipment would be inducted into the mission areas to boost their efforts in the war against terrorism and other security challenges in Nigeria. He also assured them of his commitment to their welfare and their families.”
Bandits Kill Over 26 People In Katsina
Bandits have killed more than 26 people in an attack on three communities in Dan Musa, Faskari and Batsari local government areas of Katsina State.
Sources in the area told Channels Television that bandits riding motorcycles carried out the attacks on Tuesday.
According to them, 11 persons were reportedly killed in an attack on Sabon Layin Galadima community of Faskari LGA, while five persons were killed at Mara Zamfarawa village in Dan Musa LGA with many animals rustled.
Similarly, locals told Channels Television that bandits attacked farmers on their farmlands in the afternoon in Yar Gamji village of Batsari LGA, killing 18 people with 10 others missing.
Spokesman of the Katsina Police Command, SP Gambo Isah, said those killed in Faskari were members of a vigilante group.
He said, “On the Faskari incident, a group of Yansakai (vigilantes) from Sabon Layi village, went into the forest and confronted the bandits since yesterday and did not report back. Two corpses were recovered and buried by the villagers yesterday”.
“A search party led by the DPO in Faskari recovered three other bodies inside the forest. A bandits’ camp was also discovered abandoned by d bandits. Investigation is ongoing.”
In respect of the attacks in Dan Musa and Batsari LGAs, Isah said the police were trying to get further information.
“We are trying to get the reports,” he said.
He added, “Members the community should appreciate our efforts and partner with us rather than attacking us. We are there doing all we could do to protect them including paying the supreme sacrifice. We should be appreciated for that rather than insults and attacks against us”.
Residents of Batsari, angered by the killings, embarked on a protest to the state capital today with some of them setting tyres on fire.
The residents stormed the state capital with bodies of vehicles piled up in vehicles.
As part of the protest, they displayed the bodies to the Emir of Katsina, Abdulmumini Kabir Usman, and Governor Aminu Bello Masari, who assured them that the government will do all it can to end the killings.
Boko Haram: Don’t Sack Security Chiefs As If They Haven’t Performed, Says Rtd Colonel
A retired military officer, Colonel Hassan Stan-Labo has warned the Federal Government against sacking the security chiefs lest it creates an impression that they did not perform.
While appearing as a guest on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics in Lagos, Stan-Labo decried the spate of violence in the country but noted that dismissing the service chiefs is not the answer.
He recalled that prior to the appointment of the service chiefs in 2015, the nation witnessed a reduction in the rate of terrorists activities.
“My only grouse with those who insist that they be changed is the manner in which it is presented. We shouldn’t look like a nation that is not grateful.
“These are gentlemen who brought us out of the doldrums we found ourselves in the northeast when they took over when Mr President just came on board in 2015.
“These service chiefs went there and performed wonders. They came in with what I will call the magic wand. Till today, I don’t know how they did it.
“Fine the thing has degenerated now, if it is the general impression that new hands be brought on board, please don’t ease them out in such a manner as to give the impression that they have not performed,” he stated.
When asked what he wished President Muhammadu Buhari to have done better in the last four years, his response was on the management of the nation’s borders.
He noted that if the President had taken decisive action in tackling the border issues, trans-border crimes would have been reduced.
Cover6 months ago
Ganduje Donates N10 Million to EFCC, ICPC for Anti-Corruption Event
Cover6 months ago
Buhari Approves New Salary Package for Police Officers
Cover4 months ago
Nigeria Still as Corrupt as Before – Transparency International
Entertainment6 months ago
PHOTOS: Inside Abuja Biggest Christmas Carol Organized By Pinnacle Communications Ltd.
News7 months ago
President Buhari To Attend Peace Forum In France
Politics7 months ago
Saraki Reshuffles Senate Committees, Axes Buhari’s Loyalist
Foreign6 months ago
Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashogghi’s Murder – CIA
Entertainment5 months ago
Thirty Nine Years After, Charly Boy Marries in Church