In the Megida Onikahun compound, Edun Isale in the Ilorin South Local Government Area of Kwara State, a fire on Monday destroyed 44 rooms and left no fewer than 120 people homeless. The fire also spread to the nearby market.
It was gathered that four aged people were evacuated by some Good Samaritans from the house as thick smoke engulfed the traditional building.
The Kwara State Fire Service however said that no one was injured in the incident which lasted for more than one hour before its men put out the raging fire.
Head of Media and Publicity of the state fire service, Hassan Adekunle, said the fire incident which started from a refuse dump in the morning was attended to around 11:08am by the state firefighters.
According to Adekunle, “The Kwara State Fire Service operatives responded to a fire incident at Megida Onikanhun Compound, Edun Isale, Ilorin South Local Government Area of Kwara State on Monday, January 15, 2024.The firefighters, upon arrival, found the entire compound and Edun Market engulfed in flames due to a late call. To enhance firefighting efforts, part of the fence was dismantled for better access.
“At 11:22 am, an assistant message was sent to the Brigade Headquarters for additional manpower, and the proficient firefighters successfully brought the situation under control within an hour before completely extinguishing the fire.
“Investigation revealed that an unknown person had ignited refuse, initially mistaken for harmless smoke. Unfortunately, it had spread to the nearby compound, lamenting that the incident left over 120 occupants homeless, affecting 44 rooms and a mosque in the 75-room Magaji Onikanhun Compound. Fortunately, there were no casualties”, he said.
“The Federal Fire Service and officers from the Department of Disaster Management of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and State Emergency Management Agency were present at the scene. The NSCDC officers ensured crowd control to prevent potential looting, safeguarding both market goods and the firefighters”, he said.
Adekunle said he expressed condolences to Magaji Megida Onikanhun’s representative, Kuranga Adebayo on behalf of the Director of the state Fire Service, Prince Falade Olumuyiwa, after the fire had been put under control.
He said that in order to save lives and property in the state, the director urged the public to always be cautious, particularly during this dry season, and to never hesitate to call the fire department as soon as there is a fire in their area.
- Kebbi :Government Expends N50 Million On Refurbishment Of Firefighting Trucks
- Kebbi Government To Upgrade Primary Health Centres Into Specialised Hospitals
- Kebbi Gov Donates 20 Million Naira To Argungu Market Fire Victims
- Avoid Unimportant Journeys —NYSC DG Advises Crops Members
- NSCDC Caught Two Men Over Cultism, Other Nefarious Activities