According to the Osun State Command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, their agents apprehended 252 suspected drug dealers between January and December of 2023.
The NDLEA Commander for the state, Mr. Chidi Nnadi, stated in a statement on Saturday in Osogbo that there were 38 female and 214 male suspects.
He said the command secured the conviction of 57 suspects, whose sentencing ranged from three months to five years imprisonment.
According to the commander, 47 cases are pending in court.
He said that the command seized illicit drugs weighing 1,909.69kg during the period.
“Within same period, the drug supply reduction efforts led to the discovery and destruction of 9.5 hectares of cannabis farms (23.759 tonnes of cannabis sativa) at Ifedayo and Oriade local government areas,” he said.
“The agency had a brief counselling intervention with 79 people who use drugs (PWUD) and embarked on awareness/sensitisation programmes in religious houses, schools, motor parks, markets, and workplaces,” he said.
He denied that Osun was the second-highest cannabis-producing state in the South West.
The commander expressed gratitude to the state governor, Ademola Adeleke, and the agency’s chairman, Gen. Buba Marwa (retd.), for their joint efforts to eradicate drug abuse in the state and the country.
- Assessing Nigerian Navy’s Impactful War Against Oil Theft
- ALHAJA LATEEFAT GBAJABIAMILA AT 94: TRIBUTE TO A REMARKABLE LIFE
- The 10th edition of Healing Streams Live Healing Services with Pastor Chris Oyakhilome holds March 15th to 17th
- Hardship: Why S-East Refuses To Participate In Protests —Umahi
- Abia Power Project’s Success Can Be The Repeated In Lagos, Others—Nnaji