Connect with us

News

In Ogun, A Mother, Son, And Another Person Electrocuted

Published

on

Ogun Students Resume Back To School Today

A mother, her son, and one other person were reportedly electrocuted at Mowe market in Obafemi-Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State.

It was gathered that the incident occurred on Monday following an electric spark in the market after the electricity distribution company restored power a few hours after the Sunday rainstorm.

According to eyewitnesses, the electric shock broke out from the step-down transformer suspended on an electrical pole next to the shop where the incident happened at the time the shop owners arrived for their daily sales in the market.

The eyewitness said, “A female trader was said to have been electrocuted alongside her son and another person in the market. About four persons were also injured in the incident.

The Director of Information of Obafemi Owode Local Government, Segun Soneye, confirmed the incident to newsmen in Abeokuta.

He explained that the woman “was burnt into ashes.”

Soneye blamed the incident on the erection of shops made of iron under the powerline by the traders.

He said, the Council Chairman, Lanre Ogunsola, had visited the affected shop owners and commiserated with them over the incident.

Soneye said the LG boss had already given shop owners a seven-day ultimatum to evacuate their make-shift shops built under the high tension powerline to forestall the recurrence of the incident.

The council boss also visited other victims who are receiving treatments at Mowe Health Post, and assured them of quality medical care with all the expenses to be paid by the government.

The Police Spokesman, Omolola Odutola, also confirmed the incident but said only the mother, one Ujuwa Okechukwu, died.

She added that about four injured victims are currently receiving healthcare at Babcock University Teaching Hospital.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *