Connect with us


Rivers Vigilante Rescues Newborn Abandoned In Waste Dump



A newborn left at the mercy of death after being abandoned in a refuse dump in front of the Mile 3 motor park in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, was rescued by a vigilante group on Friday morning.

The cry of the female child, who was still carrying her placenta, wrapped with clothes and left in the cold, attracted the vigilante who were on routine patrol at about 3am.

The Chief Security Officer of Nkpolu Oroworukwo community, Mile 3 Diobu under the Diobu Vigilante, Godstime Ihunwo, confirmed the incident to newsmen.

Ihunwo said on the discovery, he put a call across to a human rights activist, Prince Wiro, who accompanied him to the police station to lodge a formal report.

He stated, “At 3am this morning (Friday), while on routine patrol, I discovered a newborn baby who is less than six hours old. At the point of discovery, the baby was still wrapped in clothes and placenta.

“I rescued the child and immediately called a female nurse for urgent medical attention to be given to the baby. Upon inspection by the nurse, the baby was discovered to be a female.

“I called Prince Wiro, who immediately came to my office and accompanied me to Nkpolu Police station to make a formal report.”

The vigilante leader blamed the development on the absence of street lights in most parts of Port Harcourt.

“I want to use this medium to appeal to the Rivers State Government to prevail on the contractors in charge of Ikwerre Road street lights to ensure the lights are always on at night.”

Speaking, Mr Prince Wiro, who is the Coordinator, Centre for Basic Rights Protection and Accountability Campaign, condemned the action of the unknown mother who left the newborn at the mercy of death.

Wiro described the action of the unknown mother as inhumane, callous and barbaric.

He advised young females who think they cannot take care of a child after giving birth to seek help by approaching the relevant government ministry in charge of children’s welfare rather than throwing the baby away.

Efforts to reach the spokesperson of the Rivers Police Command, Grace Iringe-Koko, proved abortive as she did not answer several calls put across to him.

She had yet to reply to a text message sent to her mobile telephone as of the time of filing this report.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *